The Old Market is a crown jewel of Omaha. An old warehouse district reclaimed as modern retail, restaurants, and urban living – it is hip and very cool. At the least, you will want to visit here. A great place to help our economy – thank you.
If you want to shoot there, please plan ahead.
I have done photo shoots, commercials, and even part of the movie Up in the Air here. For that movie, I took the necessary steps for permitting, insurance, and location agreements. My research discovered a public works project that was scheduled for our shooting days. Omaha moved the project for our filming!! Parking is premium so I converted a closed block into a parking lot for the trucks. I informed as many property owners and residents as possible. It all went smooth.
For something less in scale, you’ll have to do less – but please do something. Talk to the owners and neighbors that are affected by your presence. Communicate with them. It’s easy and the right thing to do.
A few tips to filming in the Old Market:
- It can be noisy. Truck deliveries, dumpsters getting slammed, restaurant air handling.
- Lots of people. Especially if it’s prime time in the decent weather months. There are a few outdoor dining spots so consider that when picking your location and / or for your background.
- The parking police are vigilant. Bag meters for yourself. It’s cheap and easy to do.
- The streets are old brick. They look great but aren’t practical for rolling carts.
- Be polite. We all want to continue to film here. One bad crew can ruin it for all of us.
- Support our local economy by eating in one of the restaurants or buying a trinket.
Photos and words COPYRIGHT Jamie Vesay ANY USE requires permission.