The Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge – locally called The Bob – is a modern designed people-only bridge (no vehicles). It has become part of Omaha’s new riverfront and has quickly become popular with film crews and photographers (professional and amateur). Rumor is, it is the only pedestrian bridge in America that connects two States. *
Here are a few tips if you want to shoot on it:
- It is popular. In decent weather, there are many walkers and bicyclists. It could be a challenge locking it up for a shot.
- It moves. Especially if it’s windy. If you are standing in one place, like looking through a camera, you can feel it. Consider a stabilizer device or similar trick.
- Parking is either just south of the bridge or on the Iowa side.**
- If you want to film at the very top, it is a walk. Pushing carts or lugging gear can be a challenge from either place. The City does not allow motorized carts to help.
- You’d think there would be a good view of the skyline from the bridge but there is not.
- The City would like to know if you’re filming on it. Although there is no fee, the professional courtesy is always appreciated.
*as of 2009 **scheduled construction on the Iowa side may limit parking
Photos and words COPYRIGHT Jamie Vesay ANY USE requires permission.