The Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge – locally called The Bob – is a modern designed people-only bridge (no vehicles). It has become part of Omaha’s new riverfront and has quickly become popular with film crews and photographers (professional and amateur). Rumor is , it is the only pedestrian bridge in America that connects two States. *
Here are a few tips if you want to shoot on it:
- It is popular. In decent weather, there are many walkers and bicyclists. It could be a challenge locking it up for a shot.
- It moves. Especially if it’s windy. If you are standing in one place, like looking through a camera, you can feel it. Consider a stabilizer device or similar trick.
- Parking is either just south of the bridge or on the Iowa side.**
- If you want to film at the very top, it is a walk. Pushing carts or lugging gear can be a challenge from either place. The City does not allow motorized carts to help.
- You’d think there would be a good view of the skyline from the bridge but there is not.
- The City would like to know if you’re filming on it. Although there is no fee, the professional courtesy is always appreciated.
*as of 2009 **scheduled construction on the Iowa side may limit parking
Photos and words COPYRIGHT Jamie Vesay 2012 ANY USE requires permission.